+ + +

Tax Services

The Iowa Center now has three tax sites open and accepting appointments.


Iowa Center for Economic Success
2210 Grand Ave
Des Moines, IA 50312
Ankeny Service Center
641 S. Ankeny Blvd., Ste. H
Ankeny, IA 50023
Valley Community Center
4444 Fuller Road
West Des Moines, IA 50265
Mondays and Thursdays
9:00 am – 1:00 pm
Wednesday and Fridays
9:00 am – 1:00 pm
Tuesdays and Saturdays
9:00 am – 2:00 pm
Dates Open:
February 6, 2023 – April 17, 2023
Dates Open:
February 7, 2023 – April 14, 2023
Dates Open:
February 7, 2023 – April 18, 2023
(not open 2/18 or 3/18)
Sign up here
Walk-in appointments only
Walk-in appointments only


Please call us at 515-283-0940 with questions.

To find a VITA site in the area click here.

What to bring to your appointment…

If you will be filing a joint return, both spouses must be at the appointment. Total household income of generally $60,000 or below.  

Please bring the following to your VITA tax appointment  

You MUST have a valid, working phone number with voicemail set up and a valid email address.  

  • Photo ID for you and your spouse 
  • Social Security cards and/or a Social Security number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration for you, your spouse, and dependents that you are claiming 
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents 
  • Wage and earning statement(s) from all employers, for each year you are filing (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc, SSA 1099) 
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns OR Copies of income transcripts (if you don’t have the previous years’ return) from the IRS and state 
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Form 1099) 
  • Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number) 
  • Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit. Blank check or bank statement required. We cannot use a deposit slip 
  • An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse, and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number 

To view the full list of possible items to bring, click here.

+ + +

Want to do your own taxes?

If you would like to file on your own, there are a few options. If you have questions on your return you may email: taxhelp@theiowacenter.org (please know this is for tax help only, this is not technical support for website functionality)

    • IRS Free File here

Developed by Pella Hosting.

Developed by Pella Hosting.